Our newest Interior Designer and Window Covering Specialist, Karla Allingham, has shared some great tips on ways to reduce heating costs due to energy loss this winter. Her quick and easy tips are small, easy and inexpensive methods that make a HUGE difference! Take a look at her post below or come see her in our showroom.
It definitely feels like winter has arrived! With that in mind, consider the following home improvements to prepare for the cold winter months.
- Clean or replace your furnace filters to increase energy efficiency. A good rule of thumb is to do this every heating and cooling season.
- Insulate electrical outlets and switch plate covers with foam inserts and apply weather stripping around doors and windows to reduce drafts.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fan to counter-clockwise so that the warm air circulates around the room.
- Make sure floor registers, baseboard heaters, and radiators are not blocked by furniture or drapes to provide more efficient heat flow.
- Add area rugs to cold bare floors and consider hanging thermal drapes to increase comfort and reduce heating costs.
- Install energy efficient window coverings to reduce heat loss through windows. Duette Architella shades from Hunter Douglas can save up to 20% on energy bills and typically pay for themselves in just 2 years.
By implementing the above mentioned tips, you will save energy and money.